Sunday, July 22, 2007

The Long Awaited Travel Report and Pics!



First off – I am so sorry I have not provided you with an update in awhile. Life has been a bit crazy. (Emphasize on the crazy!) Like right now I am sitting with my headlight on munching on some raisins because the power went out before I could cook some super... just one of the many things I will have to get use to J Anyway I know many of you are anxiously wanting to know what life looks like for me now…but I want to briefly describe my hike over to Mbarara. From the start of my journey - God’s hand of protection was all around me. My route was changed leaving from RDU to Chicago (stayed two nights), Chicago – Brussels (GermanyJ) and then to Entebbe. Some major praises are: met a bunch of marines – that provided entertainment for me on/off the plan. I met some headed to Fort Leonardwood and some others who were headed overseas. I got a free night stay in Chicago and the second night at a negiotiated rate. I did not have to go to London, met a traveling Ugandan athlete who know good English (who gladly provided assistanceJ) all 4 pieces of my checked luggage arrived, found a fellow “m” at the airport that let me stay overnight with her.

Now….I am currently staying in my new home. Most of you know that I was living with my supervisor Dr.Pepper and his family until my home was ready to moved into. I love my little home – it has three bedrooms, two baths, a kitchen, living room, and a beautiful porch. (That I hope to find a hammock for) There are three other homes on my compound and so far it seems pretty secure. It is right down the road from Dr.Pepper and Janet the other nurse I will be serving with. Enough about my house – This week has been INCREDIBLE! I have visited patients in the clinic, the hospital ward, and in homes. All I can say is WOW! What an eye opening experience! The week began in the clinic with a woman that was demon possessed. She admitted to us that she had been to see a witch doctor and she also stated that God had told her to stop taking her HIV meds. We were not only able to provide this woman with medical advice but were also able to pray over her….This is why I am here…There are so many hurting people that are not desperate need of Christ. As hard as this work my appear to be – I know that God has brought me to this place at this time for a reason…and family and friends rest assured that he will see me through! “I leave you peace. My peace I give you. I do not give it to you as the world does. So don’t let your hearts be troubled .Don’t be afraid. “John 14:27

4 comments:

Allie T said...

Yay for updates! What a cool looking little house! I'm glad you've gotten to be able to get right to work - I'm sure that helps with the homesickness as it reminds you of why you're there! James and I were sitting down at lunch today and remarked at what has happened to what once was the Thornton compound - Cory in Japan, you in Africa, and now James going to Korea - and I'm stuck at home with the baby which is certainly a foreign enough experience as well. ;) Take good care of yourself and know you have lots of people loving you and praying for you at home!!

The Sexton Crew said...

Okay, here are my immediate questions for when you have nothing better to do. ;-)
1. Temperature? How hot is it?
2. How's the food?
3. What's the weirdest thing you've seen so far?
4. Is there a time of day that you find the most difficult (mentally/emotionally)?

Love you -big fat virtual hugs!

Jessica and Brandon said...

Your house is adorable. I love the photo of the cattle traveling the road ahead of you. Did they move over so you could pass, or did you have to follow them? It reminds me a lot of TZ! Visiting patients must have been amazing and like you said eye-opening. I wish I was there. Instead I get to have a root canal on Monday. Yippee.

I love you. Send me a skype if you ever get the chance. I am online constantly M-F 9-5.

Tara said...

Jenna! I'm so excited about what you're doing! I can't wait to read about all of your amazing adventures on your blog! Your house sounds/looks awesome!
Congratulations on making this huge decision and giving up so much to help so many people.
You're awesome!