Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Friends in High Places

Just a quick story - Monday I went to work in the clinic as usual - around 2 my friend called me and was like lets go swimming. Since the sun was shining I was like I am all for that idea....However, whenever this particular friend and I decide to go swim it rains. And by the time we finished our meal and headed home rain came. Rain came hard. In fact - I barely made it in the door - Ok so I was always told dont be near electrical things during a storm like chatting on the phone, watching a movie - blah blah blah ....me being the storm watcher that I am. Put a kettle of water on the stove - flung open the curtains, craweled onto my bed and connected my net :)Heehee. Nways,the rain wasnt just a light shower or sprinkle - but HARD CORE RAIN ;) While online, I heard a loud boom and I was like what was that noise???? My lights flicked on and off and then went completely off. I turned on my inverter and proceeded checking email. Smart huh??? At this point most people would have shut off all electric appliances and read a good book. Not me.

When the storm passed - I went outside. The loud boom or thud rather that I had heard before was a phone pole that had landed on my neighbors house. I immediately thought...oh geeez my neighbor is not going to be happy when she comes home and has no power and a pole sitting on her house. I investigated the 'scene' throughly - to discover that outside my bedroom window was a snapped wire. Yeah you read that right - a split electric wire just hanging...So I put two and two (the wire and pole) together and realized wow this is not very safe. But what do I do? So heres the thing - usually Whites around here are very demanding - like they think they are the superior race or something. Being a missionary and I all I tend not to think that way ....However, I am so grateful that I have a 'friend in high places' (and this would be where my neighbor comes in) The lady whose house the pole fell on comes from a very affluent family (her Dad owns Bell Liquior Company - One of Uganda's top selling beer products) Nways, She kind of told the electric company that if they didnt come out and fix the pole ASAP - someone was going to be seriously hurt or killed.

The good news is they came! And we had power like the very next day!!! And no one was hurt! Soooo I am totally praising God for this! I am grateful for my neighbor FORSURE and my Jesus for sparing my life yet another day!

No comments: